måndag 5 december 2011

Tiny Tooth... and more on Mama Milk



Like a small grain of rice nestled into baby's lower jaw is now his first tooth. We had a night or two of very cranky baby. But now he seems to be back on track. He is drooling a lot, so I suspect another tooth might be on it's way.
Other than that we have been very lucky, so to speak.

Since birth baby has been a sound night sleeper. In a way it's easy for us, no need to introduce night routines. By 7-9 o clock he's fast asleep and sleeps until morning.
However, I would rather have had him nurse all night through and gained better weight and me not getting any sleep.
I've been up at night pumping so I haven't gotten much sleep anyway.

All the things I now know about breastfeeding I wish I had known back then... Oh, well, if we ever dare to try for another baby we will be so much better prepared.

In hind sight, we DID get some good advice at the hospital. But we got so many DIFFERENT advice, and were so in shock after the birth we had difficulty sorting through and know which ones we should listen to.
And maybe it would have been all the same even if we've done differently, since no one saw that J was tongue tied.

One advice I can give though is; if you have a baby that have trouble nursing, and your milk doesn't come in; no matter what people or hospital staff say; PUMP!
It's the only way to get the milk going if baby can't do it on his/her own. And don't get one of those lousy hand pumps (they told us to get);





But demand to get an electrical pump. Buy your own or rent one at the hospital;



















I don't know why, but a lot of the "experts" say you shouldn't pump. My mom said I shouldn't pump either.
When I was born, in the 70s, all mothers were told to pump at the hospital, and my mother had difficulty with too much milk for the rest of my infancy.
From what I read, how much you stimulate milk production in the first week after birth is in someway determining how much milk you will be able to produce at all.

If you have trouble getting your milk production up, this is the best advice I have found online
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/milkproduction.html#autocrinecontrol

I so wish I would have found this straight away, and believe me,the pump and I would have started our intense relationship much, much earlier...

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar