torsdag 27 januari 2011

The Rainbow Parenting Group


(You might think that I couldn't possibly find a more hideous costume than the rainbow costume featured in an earlier post. Well, think again; a rainbow chicken!)

I'm gonna be very brief about the Rainbow parenting group, eventhough this is a semi-anonymous blog. It's a small world after all.

We were about 11 people. 8 lesbian couples and one couple with 3 men and one woman. They consisted of a straight couple and a gay couple. The woman in the straight couple was having a baby with the men in the gay couple. The man in the straight couple was not to be a father per se, if I understood it correctly.
All the lesbians in the group were expecting their second child and the straight man had a child from a previous realtionship. So I guess wifey, I and the gay guys were the only first time parents.

The meeting was a bit brief, 1,5 hr. And there was not a lot of room for such a big group to let everyone talk. I think the topics of becoming a first time parent, lesbian parenting, giving birth, what it feels like to expect a baby but not carry it yourself etc, that wifey and I were more interested in talking about, got lost somewhere on the way. Or rather, there was never any chance to bring any of it up.

Still, some of the topics were interesting, like hearing about the experiences of the lesbian families with their children. We'll see what the next meeting will bring. I might try to be a bit more assertive and bring up stuff wifey and I are interested in talking/asking about.

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar