tisdag 22 februari 2011

Once in a lullaby...



After being kept up all night with Baby's tiny hick-ups, my restless legs, congestion, thrist, a zillion bathroom vists etc, it was time to get out of bed and go to the hospital for the anti D-profylax.

It was freezing outside and I was so glad wifey had brought the car so we didn't have to spend the morning waiting for commuter trains that never come while slowly turning into blocks of ice.

I had a vague memory of the hospital being depressing and huge. I had some of my Uni classes in one of the Kafkan bulidings and remembered endless hallways, perplexing stairways and anonymous steel elevators, so I wanted to make sure we had plenty of time to find our way.

First was a stop to leave a blood sample, only 27 other people in line before us. However, once we got in (after 40 + min) the nurse was the most professional I have ever been drawn blood by. I have shy veins and people usually end up poking both my arms a number of times before hitting the right spot. Not this lady; in, out, thank you! You wouldn't even have time to pass out, if you would be so inclined.

Then the puzzeling task of finding the maternity ward. We finally found it tucked away behind the ortophedic ward, hand-made signs randomly taped on walls leading the way. Once (supposedly) there, there was no reception but an area with some worn out, stained sofas, so dusty my astma would not allow me to sit down. The paint was falling from the walls, the upholstery was coming out of the chairs. It all felt sad, dirty and like being transferred to some forgotten part of eastern Europe. There were 3 other women in the waiting room. All alone. I was the only one who had my partner with me.
And I once again thought of how lucky I was to have wifey. Someone who thinks it's just as important for her to be there as I do.
It's my body, but our pregnancy and our baby.

20 min after our scheduled appointment, we got to see the midwife. She was calm and had a very kind energy about her, I instantly liked her. And felt sorry for her to have to work in such a horrid environment. She told us the hospital was tearing down asbestos and that's why they had to share space with the orthopedic ward. Mmm, asbestos, that sounds great for my unborn child and my astma.
She suggested we stay around after the shot to make sure I got no allergic reactions. Needless to say, we didn't.

I'm hoping for a better nights sleep tonight. Wifey's staying at our country house with the dog tonight (I've gotten too allergic to the dog to go with them), so no one will sing Baby her lullaby.
I'll play her this version instead;

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar