torsdag 24 mars 2011

Bananas for you!



Banana is the new carrot juice. I can not get enough of bananas!!! (Organically grown, of course, since the regular kind doesn't taste much and the peel is so poisonous you can't put it in Swedish composts. Now, does that sound edible to you?).

I got a bit curious about the banana. I haven't been able to eat it for the most part of my pregnancy, though I'm usually an avid fan. But now I eat atleast 2-3 a day. So what magic power does this starlet of pregnancy cravings contain?

This is what I found online;

"During pregnancy, eating foods high in potassium, such as bananas, can help reduce pregnancy-related swelling of the extremities. (I need that!!!)They also balance electrolytes and are a great source of energy.

Vitamin B6 is also essential for the development and operation of our bodies. It is vital to the development of your baby's central nervous system, is a key component during the biosynthesis of the neurotransmitters GABA, dopamine, and serotonin and is essential for proper immune system functioning and the ability of hemoglobin to carry oxygen to the body's tissues. (A boost in the ability of hemoglobin to carry oxygen is sureley welcomed when you're as low in iron as I am at the moment!).

The heart and circulatory system require potassium to maintain normal blood pressure and heart function. (Sign me up and my blood pressure up!)"

Isn't the body amazing? My blood pressure is up, my iron down and I'm a walking water balloon.
And the body says; You know what Lesbomama? I REALLY fancy a fruit that will lower blood pressure, transport oxygen better and reduce swelling!

And they are trying to tell me my body won't be able to birth Baby without assistance, drugs and medical intervention?
Ha!

Inga kommentarer:

Skicka en kommentar